Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Finally made it to South Korea

Hello people in other countries. I have succesfully made it to South Korea, despite a few set backs...both little and really big. Most of you know that I had two jobs fall through and finally my third job was a success. When I got off the plane in Seoul, the guy with the sign that said "Mr. Brock Jensen" bought me a bus ticket and sent me on my way to Cheongju City. Just as the bus was ready to leave, the driver asked for the tickets...and apparently I only had half of mine...just the stub. He didnt speak english at all and was yelling at me and making gestures like i needed more of a ticket using the only other passenger's ticket as an example. So I got off the bus went to the ticket booth and then the driver came over and very intensely talked with the ticket guy...about 30 secondes later the driver told me "Sorry" about 6 times and then we were on our way.

After the 2 hour bus ride, I got off at the station in Cheongju. There was supposed to be someone there to meet me...couldn't find him! So I wandered around the station with all my bags and tried to get a payphone to work. I had no Korean Money, and my debit card wouldn't work cuz it wasnt domestic. Finally after about a hour of waiting I found a young man who let me borrow his cell phone. I called Jay, my contact in Seoul, and he said he would call the director and have him get there asap. Well, about 20 min later Stanely, my director, showed up. He took me to my apptment and showed me how to work my heat and water and stuff. First look at the bathroom and I was puzzled. No shower....at least no designated spot for a shower. Here is a picture of my bathroom:
Yes, I just stand in the middle of my 5x6 bathroom and shower right on the floor. The drain is under the sink and thats what thats all about;) My appartment is bigger than what I need, but it is nice to have the space. Just makes it feel more like a home I guess. Here are a couple more pictures: From the door...

From the fridge...

So after Stanley showed me my place...he took me down to the first floor (I live on the 13th floor) where there is a mini-grocery store. He bought me some water and some toilet paper. Then he lent me 50,000 Won, which is essentially $50. Then since it was kinda late, I hit the sack on my very hard matress with my pink sheets left for me by the last guy who was here, and I'm assuming he inherited them as well. Here is my bed:

The next morning, Stanley came to my appartment at 10:30 and we walked a couple blocks to the school. We went over my contract and some basic rules and such and then I was done for the day. Stanley called the Internet people for me and they said that it should work by 2:00 that afternoon. I went back to my room...did some more unpacking/arranging stuff, got my internet working and checked some stuff, before I knew it I was asleep by 5:00 in the afternoon.

The next day, Stanley came in the morning again and took me to the hospital to get a simple physical to make sure I was healthy. Once my "results" come back, we have to go the immigration office and get me registered. When we got back from the hospital, we went to school. My third day in the country and I was expected to teach a full day. I haven't had any training, and I was given very little explanation of what I was supposed to do. The first class came time to start, they said this is the book you need for this class, this is what pages you should do...and then I went to it. IT WAS NOT A GOOD FIRST DAY. I was really wondering how I was going to get through it. Nevertheless, I did make it and I am not looking forward to today. Please pray for me!!! This is all I really have for now. I left my camera in Stanley's car so I dont have many pics yet. I will post more of them later. See ya.

5 comments:

E-Beth said...

Don't know if you remember me but just wanted to say hi and good for you, exciting travels sounds like. prayers headed your way for the teaching/training =)

The Palmers said...

Brock,
Glad that you made it to South Korea okay. I'm not sure if you are in the same school, but an old friend, Sara Letsche, is also teaching in South Korea...somewhere, as an art teacher. Maybe you are in the same school? Maybe not. Anyways, best wishes to you and know that I am praying for you. Enjoy all the new experiences that come along with this job, day by day!

God's Blessings to You!

Unknown said...

Hey Brock--Hope your days are improving. It has to get better, right? When I first got to France, I was thinking, "What it the world did I get myself into?" but by the end of my stay I was sad to leave. Hope things will be the same for you in South Korea.

CJWurpts said...

Hey Brock,

Nice to hear that you made it to Korea. I look forward to reading your blog. It's tough to get used to showering on the floor; the family I stayed with had a bathtub that I'd shower in, but I'd always try to keep it in the tub. It was a fairly futile effort, overall.

When you get a chance, impress your colleagues and ask them to take you out for Samgyeopsal-gu
(pronounced "Sam-gyup-saul" or "Sam-gyup-sahn (soft N)") It's rolled pork that you cook at the table. For a guy who likes meet, you might enjoy that. It's not too foreign. Also: Bulgogi was also one of my favorites. It's really just beef that you wrap up in lettuce leaves.

Look forward to reading more!

CJWurpts said...

Also... I'll be sure to keep you in my prayers as you make this adjustment. It can be tough; but it gets a lot better (or it did for me, at least). I found it helped to cling to the McDonalds and Starbucks in Seoul as places of refuge from the foreign culture.