Monday, December 15, 2008

SHOWING

So things have been much better since that first couple days. I haven't really been here that long, but it feels like is been a month or two already. The weeks go by so slow and the weekends just zip by. I may have mentioned before but some classes more than others have managed to get under my skin much quicker than others. I found myself scolding kids and raising my voice, a lot, and in some cases kicking kids out of my class for short periods at a time. Although, my job is not always something I look forward to, sometimes I have to stop....take a step back and look at the bigger picture. The main reason for my coming to Korea was to take the opportunity that God gave me. Along with that is the idea that I am to love these people like my family. When I stepped back, I realized that what I was doing with these kids was not love. I need to SHOW love to these kids all the time. I need to allow them to see that I am loving and that I care about them. Though things have been a little less than ideal, I know that God has a purpose for me here, and that is why this is the door that He chose to open to me. This IS where He wants me and I need to remember that.

Anyway, while walking in the streets, simple smiles at people as I passed by has proved to make an impact. People often smile back, or sometimes offer an english "Hi" to me. Stephen commented that people always say hi to me and not to him. He has been here for 5 months and nobody says hi to him. I told him, "Ya just gotta smile at people!" He said he didn't want to and I told him that is why they say hi to me. Anyway, I am learning what SHOWING love can actually look like. For too long, I have loved people, but that love was only known by God and me. If you love someone, you prove it to them. You SHOW them. I have learned in life, what little of it that I have been around for, is that it is not our words, but our actions that convince people what is real. And if we want our deepest feelings and thoughts to be known, then we need harmonize them with our actions.

This is what my post is all about tonight. I was writing someone a message and these thoughts came out. I wasn't planning for them, but I guess that is proof that God can and will use anything to reach us, even ourselves:) I have somehow turned my update blog into a challenge board for you, but I want to challenge you all today. Really SHOW someone that you love them this week:) It's a great time for it all with Christmas coming up!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Dear children, let us not merely love with words or tongue but with actions and truth." 1 John 3:18 (NLT)

May you be filled to the brim and overflowing with the LOVE, joy :), and peace of Jesus Christ!

You're in my prayers, friend!

E-Beth said...

Merry Christmas (a couple days late, but still the cheer)!!!! I hope you had a great Christmas, my thoughts are prayers are with you!!!!

mom said...

Brock, I love read about your new adventures and miss your humor around the house. Enjoy this year the God has sent you.

son said...

Don't know you that well,but just thought I'd tell you how cool it is that you are obeying the Lord and on this adventure. Blessings,
Cara Ashley

Steve said...

Brock, I'm not sure why it took so long, but I just found your blog. You have no idea how much of an encouragement you are. I wish there was an easier way to chat because I miss you and I really want to catch up with you. God is delighting in you and the work you are doing. Keep following Him with that childlike faith. Love you bro. I'll shoot you a real message sometime soon.

P.S.
We have mostly chalkboards at Iowa State too. Ames is apparently a little underdeveloped.